Monday, 30 November 2015

The Serpentine King

 
I bow before my king
Shackles at my wrists
Bindings at my ankles
Weight upon my shoulders
 
A knight on my left
Another, my right
 
I glance upon my liege
His crooked crown a halo
To those blinded by a faith
That has long since left me
 
“Tis treason.
For what is the reason?”
 
His tongue forks
Between his lips
Like crossroads
Split where action and attrition meet
 
A shout from the court resounds
Barking dogs from which there is no rout
 
My jaw clenches
As I see a reptilian ripple agitate his flesh
Longing to shed the man suit
Under his regal robes
 
“Do you not defend yourself?
Is your guilt found in words so few?”
 
There’s honey in his hiss
Drenching his prose
In a sweet mead
More than easy to swallow
 
“My eyes see no illusions,” I say.
“No more sorcery, politics, all of your lies.”
 
A narrowing of pupils to slits
Yellow, like his belly
Then he roars with laughter
Waving a hand to the side
 
“What is this of which you speak?
Listen to the prattle of his!”
 
“You are not our King!

Not even a man,
But a serpent strangling this land!
That is why I aimed to remove your head as you slept.”
 
The court transforms into a zoo
Filled with asses, bitches, swine, and rat cohorts
 
The flanking knights howl
Hands warping into paws
Backs bending
Halberds falling
 
“His admissssssion!” The king stands, fangs exposed
Poison spraying, “In front of my entire kingdom!”
 
“When did this happen?” I cower before madness
“Animals! Beasts! No better than sheep!
What has become of my free-thinking countrymen?
Where is my liege of Divine Right?”
 
His skin sloughs away with his garb
A scaled serpentine king ruling over his kin
 
“Where there is the evil of men
No right is divine
We are but varmints
My, you have been blind.”
 
My bones shift
As I realize I have plenty of sins of which to atone
 
Fur covers my simian body
My king is not merciful
He gives the order
And the lupine knights feast like starved men upon a wild beast
 
 
Please note: The image is not mine. If someone knows who it belongs to, let me know! Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Larysia!! THIS IS AMAZING! please keep this up. you are doing a remarkable job. Loved the story telling in this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Eric!
    As I mentioned on Twitter, I find your poetry very inspirational when it comes to storytelling so I wanted to try my hand at it. Glad you think so highly of it! And I will definitely try again one of these days soon! Just need to show more love to my manuscripts first :D But another poem is certainly on the docket. Maybe a Christmas one! Hmmm ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, thank you for this treat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and enjoying! Cheers :)

      Delete