Writing is as sedentary as it gets.
Sure, while drafting you can travel across the world, to other planets, or to even different dimensions, but it’s all from the coziness of your chair. Don’t get me wrong, I love that. Especially with a steaming cup of tea at hand. But having both a sedentary job and a pastime wasn’t doing me any favours.
I was always stiff, my back ached constantly, and I wasn’t eating as well as I could have been. Late nights drafting and editing meant that I’d have something quick and easy. Usually heavily processed, too.
I had an on-and-off again relationship with the gym. I wasn’t consistent, even with the benefits I was receiving from regular exercise. For those that don’t know, I have high functioning anxiety and depression. Exercise truly helps me beat those two into submission with some fantastic endorphins. Not only that, but I actually enjoy health and fitness.
Stop rolling your eyes.
I get it.
A lot of people hate exercise in general, and this post isn’t to tell you how to live your life, or tell you what a great job I did getting thicc and sexy. I just wanted to share some benefits all of us can use. More importantly, all of us sedentary writer folks can use. Working out is for more than vanity and throwing money at diet culture. It’s a great benefit to so many aspects of our lives, especially creatively.
For example, me loving cardio? It clears my mind. I found myself zoning out during my sessions on the elliptical, and suddenly, a plot hole from my current work in progress would scream at me from across the void between my ears. Or if I was stuck on a scene, the solution would figuratively tap me on the shoulder like it was there all along. And better yet, if I exhausted myself enough, my mind wouldn’t be racing late into the night from all of that work.
I’m sure we’ve all experienced that before at some point. The racing thoughts as we brainstorm, write, or edit. If not reined in, they can stretch into the wee hours of the morning. It’s merciless unless I have a proper physical outlet. For me, that’s a ton of cardio … and lifting some heavy ass weight.
In 2020, I started to fall in love with weightlifting and strength training. It was something I had done previously, but not with the same level of knowledge or consistency. Actually focusing on building muscle was one of the best things I could have ever done. It helped me with routine, consistency, and discipline. I could see change. I could see progress.
As a writer, this was huge. If you’re someone like myself who aims to be traditionally published, you hear the word subjective so many times that you objectively hate it. You can write something amazing, but if gatekeepers don’t think it’ll sell, you may not get a literary agent or even published. When it came to growing muscle, so long as I put in the work and ate enough protein, I had growth. I had change. There was nothing subjective about it. I saw results.
It affected me mentally, too. Going to the gym can be daunting, even for someone who has spent a lot of time in it. But what’s even more daunting, is going to the weightlifting side of the gym. It felt like being transported to an alien planet where the inhabitants were swole bros and old men wearing suspiciously short shorts.
At first it was challenging being in front of them and trying new exercises. Being vulnerable in front of strangers is difficult. You don’t want to look weak, or stupid, or totally out of your element. It sucks. I even remember the first time I was trying to lift a 44-pound bar for a front squat. In the mirror, I could see a greasy boomer chuckling behind me. He watched me struggle to not crush my own windpipe with the bar. I lived to tell the tale and never saw that guy again after.
Most people at the gym don’t judge you, and the rare few that do have their own problems. Overcoming being worried about what other people thought about me raised my confidence. I stopped caring how other people saw me, and focused more on doing my own thing. I can even strike up friendly conversation at the gym these days if I feel so inclined. If you’re an introvert or shy like some of us writers are, it’s a huge achievement. It’s perfect practice for networking in person when it comes to writer conferences. And, I dunno, maybe a good way to prep for when you’re at your first book signing, sitting a table all by yourself in a book store as people pass by?
That said, you don’t have to go to the gym and pump iron or be a cardio bunny. The goal isn’t to become a svelte Instagram fitness model, but to be more active to reap the mental benefits. (But hey, you do you. Just follow me back, ‘kay?) You can go for walks, dance, do yoga, splash around in a pool, or even play Frisbee with the family. Any kind of movement is worthwhile, and if you find something you love, you’ll look forward to it.
Hell, you might even grow in more ways than one.
I know I did.
Take care!
If anyone is cynical enough to roll their eyes at this blog post, they’re not worth your time. Have always admired your discipline and drive even with dips or when they wane. Life is a constant work of balance and some days, we’re better than others. And exercise isn’t a pathway to vanity. That many people do that is down to them, but one doesn’t necessarily take to the other and the sooner people realize this, the sooner they can do things for their benefit.
ReplyDeleteI love that cardio and exercise have helped with the writing. So often we need a little bit of zoning out to have those breakthroughs. And GOOD sleep is the best sleep. I think SO many people would benefit from a proper physical outlet.
In regards to getting published, subjective is such a killer word not as in killer this is cool…but killer as in momentum, inspiration killer. Gatekeepers never appeal to me and I’m willing to do some things but not bend over backwards or kiss anyone’s ass. Seeing results like what you’ve shared is amazing because so often what we work so hard on in regards to dayjobs ends up not being tangible.
And lordy… Part of what’s kept me from gyms in the past is people who harass. I’ve had men and woman be “subtle” and I try to be nice, but in a situation like that, I am just asking to hulk out. Can’t imagine with you and dealing with testotedicks. As for that guy, that’s sad and pathetic. Here’s to you doing you and sticking to your guns. What you describe is super healthy though. Putting yourself in that situation and responding that way is a huge boost in so many ways.
You end with a great point. It’s not about being a fitness guru…it’s about being healthier and by phrasing, that means you can always improve and adjust if you so feel inclined. Here’s to being active, fit, thicc and sexy, and overall, just happier. Cheers
Sadly, I get a lot of eye rolls when I bring up fitness.
ReplyDeleteIronically from people who want to get healthy in the first place. Their main excuse is that they don't like getting sweaty or being uncomfortable. Maybe I'm just a masochist.
And thank you for the comment! You made a ton of good points. Sleep is SO important. For the mind, body, and soul. I know when I can't sleep, I feel like an absolute mess on all levels. Exercising stress away has helped me in so many ways. I think non-physical outlets (like writing) are good too, but moving your body really gets everything else moving, too. And it feels so rewarding.
And I hear you about gatekeepers. Though it's not so much a matter of ass kissing, but more like having to fit into a mold. Some parts of the mold I agree with. Others? Not so much (i.e. alcoholic/addict characters - generally, parents - in mid-grade lit "needing" to be redemptive even though in real life, sometimes we lose our battles)
My next post will be to discuss more about what I feel about traditional publishing and motivating myself to continue the fight, so I'll leave that for now. But if you want to go traditional, you're gonna have to compete with thousands of other writers and hope you're the most commercial on top of being talented. Tricky business.
And about the gyms ... I'd like to say that for the most part, people are happy you're there. Just some people are dicks and ruin it for others. I've had men and women make comments about me behind my back (or so they thought), but it's not common. Most people see you show up every day and respect you for it. And I think it says a lot that I don't see the jerks stick around for very long.
That said, people will make fun of you when you put yourself out there no matter what you do. Sadly, I know there are people who even laugh at me for writing. But then I look at who's doing it, and suddenly it doesn't matter. There's a lot of bitter people out there who never made anything of themselves who want to bring others down, is all I'll say.
Worry when people don't talk about you when you're actively working on goals and dreams. It means you're not trying hard enough. And I have mad respect for anyone who steps foot into a gym, or puts their work out there.
And yes, to living healthier! It means more than just doing curls and eating kale, that's for sure.